Scandi SH S5/7 or Skagit?

Hi Everyone,
I am new to Dh and salmon fishing and I am trying to have a small plan on my mind to better understand when to use which tool.

I am thinking that could be a good idea to use Scandi sh from F to S3/4 for example, and if needed to go deeper then use a skagit.

Does this makes sense, or are there situattions that are better to use a Scandi Sh in S5/7 instead of a skagit?

Thank you in advance.
Have a a great weekend

11 minutes ago, caioasgarcia said:

Hi Everyone,
I am new to Dh and salmon fishing and I am trying to have a small plan on my mind to better understand when to use which tool.

I am thinking that could be a good idea to use Scandi sh from F to S3/4 for example, and if needed to go deeper then use a skagit.

Does this makes sense, or are there situattions that are better to use a Scandi Sh in S5/7 instead of a skagit?

Thank you in advance.
Have a a great weekend

Aa skagit line consists of a thick body in mostly float but there is intermediate and and down to sink 3 aswell (airflo makes one) which you then add a sinking tip to. 

Aa full sinking scandi shooting head is thinner and has significant more sinking in them over the total length of the line and because of this will sink further down under the fast current at the top water column.

Where skagit shines is the ability to throw really large and heavy flies

invented in USA for steelhead fishing which prefer really big and bulky flies doesnt really care much about presentation 

it works for our fishing aswell its a matter of taste 

but you will get deeper with a sink 5/7 shooting head then a skagit body + tip line

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/22/2022 at 11:39 PM, Denho486 said:

Aa skagit line consists of a thick body in mostly float but there is intermediate and and down to sink 3 aswell (airflo makes one) which you then add a sinking tip to. 

Aa full sinking scandi shooting head is thinner and has significant more sinking in them over the total length of the line and because of this will sink further down under the fast current at the top water column.

Where skagit shines is the ability to throw really large and heavy flies

invented in USA for steelhead fishing which prefer really big and bulky flies doesnt really care much about presentation 

it works for our fishing aswell its a matter of taste 

but you will get deeper with a sink 5/7 shooting head then a skagit body + tip line

Hi,

thanks for the reply. So unless I want to throw big flies, I should just stick with scandi heads?

It is a bit wild to choose sh, do you have some opinion on which ones (sinking rate) are a must to have?

Again, thank you for the reply.

12 minutes ago, caioasgarcia said:

Hi,

thanks for the reply. So unless I want to throw big flies, I should just stick with scandi heads?

It is a bit wild to choose sh, do you have some opinion on which ones (sinking rate) are a must to have?

Again, thank you for the reply.

It depends what you like also 😊 I got a skagit head I fish sometimes but not when I want to get the most depth

I can't say what sinking lines you need it depends where you are going to fish etc 

I always carry a full set from float/Intermediate down to sink 8 and all in between! 

If I were you I would keep a floating body skagit or scandi with tips 

And a selection of full sinking scandi heads of your choosing 

Then you are ready for any situation you can encounter.